Goals of the Equine Division are determined by a state committee, which is elected by other producers throughout the state.
Issues and challenges facing producers are evaluated each year, and priority is placed on each to determine a focus for the division's efforts. Because the Equine Division was just initiated in early 2008, the goals and objectives will be expanded as time progresses.
- Continue to monitor National Animal Identification System development.
- Express concerns to policy makers of the negative impacts of the ban on horse slaughter on the equine industry in Alabama and the rest of the country.
- Strive to maintain and improve relations with other equine industry organizations in Alabama and around the country.
- Work to open more horse trails on Alabama public lands
- Promote the use of the many public and private animal event facilities around the state
The Alabama Farmers Federation Equine Division works with other state agencies and non-profit organizations to promote equine use and production. Those groups include the Alabama Cooperative Extension System, Auburn University, Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries, Alabama Horse Council and the National Institute for Animal Agriculture.