As a part of Alabama Farmers Federation, Alabama Forestry Producers is represented at the state and national levels through departments of Governmental Affairs and National Affairs. The Department of Public Relations provides communications about important issues and notices through its monthly magazine, Neighbors, and biweekly newsletter,Cultivator.
The Local Connection
County Farmers Federations, with the assistance of Area Organization Directors, provide support and a mechanism to address issues on the local level. Herein lies the strength of Alabama Farmers Federation. Each county may establish its own Forestry Committee. Needs and requests from producers in the county are the beginning of policy development and the direction of Alabama Forestry Producers. You may contact your county Forestry Chairman, or if none currently exists, the Area Organization Director in your region or your County President for more information.
Why Should I be a Member of Alabama Farmers Federation and Alabama Forestry Producers?
The Alabama Farmers Federation brings farmers of all commodities together for a common cause. Together, we can accomplish more for everyone's benefit. The more producers actively participating in Alabama Farmers Federation and Alabama Forestry Producers, the more effective the organization can be on issues affecting them. With membership in the Alabama Farmers Federation, come many benefits.
Did You Know?
- Forestry is Alabama's #1 industry.
- Alabama currently has around 23 billion cubic feet of timber "in the bank."
- Forestry generates approximately $13 billion for Alabama each year.
- More than 170,000 Alabamians are employed directly or indirectly by the forestry industry.
- There are more than 1,100 Forest Manufacturing operations in the state.
- There are twice as many trees in Alabama today as there were 50 years ago.
- For every tree harvested in Alabama, five are planted.
- Alabama forests consist of 35 percent pine, 45 percent hardwood, and 20 percent mixed pine and hardwood.