Alabama Farmers Federation at Work for Alabama’s Green Industry
Helping farmers address everyday problems is a key part of our mission. As new challenges appear, Alabama Farmers Federation is poised to address those for the good of its producer members. Other areas of concern to producer members are the availability of adequate tools for pest management, fire ant management, and working to ensure ornamentals and sod are considered in government programs.
Major legislative accomplishments that have helped the green industry include:
- Greenhouse, nursery and sod production's recognition as "agriculture," thereby receiving sales tax exemptions on input items and lower sales tax on farm machinery and equipment
- Property is taxed at current use instead of speculative value.
- We have worked to secure several hundred thousand dollars in the federal budget for greenhouse, nursery and turf research in the state.
The Greenhouse, Nursery and Sod Division supports industry events, such as field days, and hosts a national Horticulture Tour. Alabama Farmers Federation works with other organizations representing Alabama horticulture, the Alabama Cooperative Extension System, the Alabama Department of Agriculture & Industries, as well as other government agencies and other groups to help make farmers profitable.
Concerns of farmers are represented at the state and national levels through departments of Governmental Affairs and National Affairs. The Department of Public Relations provides communications about horticultural news and information provided through this website, in addition to its producer member magazine, Neighbors, and biweekly newsletter, Cultivator.
The Local Connection
The strength of the Alabama Farmers Federation lies in the strength of its county Federations. Each county may establish its own Greenhouse, Nursery, & Sod Committee. There are currently 32 County Greenhouse, Nursery & Sod Committees headed by a chairman who is a grower from the county. Needs and requests from producers in the county are the beginning of policy development and the direction of the Division.
Why Should I be a Member of Alabama Farmers Federation and Alabama Greenhouse, Nursery, & Sod Producers?
The Alabama Farmers Federation brings farmers of all commodities together for a common cause. Together, we can accomplish more for everyone's benefit. The more greenhouse, nursery and sod producers involved in Alabama Farmers Federation, the more effective the organization can be in issues affecting them. The Alabama Farmers Federation maintains a staff working for its members through departments of Commodity Producer Services, Governmental Affairs, National Affairs, Organization, and Communications, among others. With membership in the Alabama Farmers Federation, come many benefits.
Did You Know?
- The 2007 Economic impact study shows that Alabama's green industry contributes almost $2.9 billion annually to Alabama's economy - an increase of 51.7 percent since 2003 - and provides jobs for more than 43,000 Alabamians.
- Horticultural retail sales reached $1.3 billion in 2007 an increase of 53.2 percent over 2003 sales.
- Greenhouse, Nursery and Sod receipts totaled $256 million, ranking Alabama 20th in the nation.
- 97 Alabama farms harvested over 23,722 acres of sod in 2007.
- Alabama's producers operate more than 9 million square feet of greenhouse and nursery space.