Horticulture Division Goals and Issues
Goals of the division are long-term and short-term. Issues and challenges facing producers are evaluated each year. Priority is determined by producers at the annual Commodity Organizational Meeting to determine a focus for the division's efforts. A state committee, which is elected by other producers throughout the state, serves to oversee the execution of these goals.
- Monitor the Food Safety legislation in Washington and research opportunities in implementing a food safety program on their farms.
- Increased promotion of the Buy Fresh Buy Local campaign
- Promote Alabama's produce and value-added products as to educate the many benefits to the public.
- Research opportunities to increase marketing assistance from the Alabama Department of Agriculture & Industries and monitor Specialty Crops Fund and potential grants.
- Continue to provide input and priortize research projects that are important to our producers.
- Support and expand the Farm to School Program and Farmers Market Nutrition Programs.
- Maintain faculty fruit positions and refill positions as they are vacated.
- Monitor liability issues/situations that can negatively affect our producers.
- Monitor possibilities for alternative energy, and assist producers in ways to minimize the effects of increasing energy costs.
- Promote the acceptance of crops developed with biotechnology to the public.
Helping farmers address everyday problems is a key part of our mission. New challenges always appear and the Horticulture Division of Alabama Farmers Federation is prepared to address those for the benefit of its members.