Meat Goat & Sheep Division Director
(800) 392-5705, ext. 4221
The Alabama Farmers Federation Meat Goat and Sheep Division is comprised of goat and sheep producers from throughout the state. The division represents producers at the local, state, and national levels and has committees in 28 Alabama counties as it continues to grow. Goat and sheep producers who make up these committees come together at the local level and develop policies and program ideas to address their needs and concerns. Those policies are then discussed at the state level and may be transformed into state and national initiatives by the organization.
Alabama's meat goat industry saw nearly 40,000 goats sold through the major goat auctions in the state during 2005. Although Alabama doesn't have a large number of sheep compared to some states, Alabama boasts some of the highest quality sheep and show lambs in the eastern United States.
Most of Alabama's sheep and goat producers are considered small or medium-sized producers who generally produce their products on small acreage. The beauty of this is that it allows people with small amounts of land to be involved in agriculture. Due to the popularity of the meat goat business in particular, more and more small landowners have become involved in agriculture over the last few years.
Meat Goat & Sheep News
- October 2015 Commodity Corner October 16, 2015
- September 2015 Upcoming Deadlines September 11, 2015
- MEETING PROVIDES UPDATE ON UPCOMING ANTIBIOTIC REGULATIONS August 25, 2015
Events for Meat Goat & Sheep commodity
- December 6-7 Federation Annual Meeting - Montgomery, AL
- January 10-13 American Farm Bureau Federation Annual Meeting - Orlando, FL
- February 2-4 Commodity Organizational Conference - Montgomery, AL