Peanut Division Interim Director
Approximately half the peanuts grown in the United States are grown within a 100-mile radius of Dothan, Alabama. The Alabama Peanut Producers Association, a division of Alabama Farmers Federation, is composed of peanut producers throughout the state. The Alabama Peanut Producers has an office located at 1810 Reeves St., in Dothan, Alabama.
Peanuts are an excellent source of folic acid, which has been shown to reduce birth defects when taken by mothers prior to conception and during the early stages of pregnancy. Recent research studies also have included peanuts and peanut butter as part of healthy diets that may help prevent adult-onset diabetes and lower blood pressure. Peanuts and peanut butter also are naturally cholesterol-free. In fact, researchers from some of the most prominent schools in the country have recently stated that regularly eating nuts and legumes as part of a low-fat diet decreases the risks of heart disease.
About half of U.S. peanuts consumed domestically are in the form of peanut butter. Peanuts are the main ingredient in peanut butter. By law, peanut butter must contain 90% peanuts. The other 10% is for stabilizers and sweeteners. Americans consume approximately 800 million pounds, or 3.3 pounds per person, of peanut butter per year — that's enough to coat the floor of the Grand Canyon.
Last year, Alabama farmers harvested 189,000 acres of peanuts, producing 400 million pounds valued at $118 million. For more details about peanut statistics in Alabama, visit the Alabama Agricultural Statistics Service website.
- February 2016 Commodity Corner February 12, 2016
- Peanut Production Meetings Planned Across State February 12, 2016
- New Leaders Elected During Conference February 12, 2016
Events for Peanuts commodity
- February 11- Alabama/Florida Trade Show and Alabama Peanut Producers Association Annual Meeting - Dothan, AL
- March 3-5 Commodity Classic - New Orleans, LA
- July 21-23 Southern Peanut Growers Conference - Destin, FL