Alabama Farmers Federation at Work for Alabama Poultry Producers
The Poultry Division works closely with the Alabama Poultry & Egg Association, National Poultry Technology Center and Auburn University in sponsoring and promoting issues that affect the poultry industry.
Here are some of the activities of the Poultry Division:
- Through the state committee's work with Auburn University the Federation will determine needs for research that will benefit Alabama poultry producers and will support funding for additional research.
- The Federation will support Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO) training and assist producers in complying with CAFO regulations.
- The Poultry Division will convey the grower position on regulatory, legislative and other issues that affect the grower.
- As a part of Alabama Farmers Federation, Alabama Poultry Producers is represented at the state and national levels through departments of Governmental Affairs and National Affairs. The Department of Communications provides information about important issues and notices through its monthly magazine, Neighbors and biweekly newsletter, Cultivator.
The Local Connection
County Farmers Federations, with the assistance of Area Organization Directors, provide support and a mechanism to address issues on the local level. Herein lies the strength of Alabama Poultry Producers. Each county may establish its own Poultry Committee. Needs and requests from producers in the county are the beginning of policy development and the direction of Alabama Poultry Producers. You may contact your county Poultry Chairman, or if none currently exists, the Area Organization Director in your region or your County Presidentfor more information.
Why Should I be a Member of Alabama Farmers Federation and Alabama Poultry Producers?
The Alabama Farmers Federation brings farmers of all commodities together for a common cause. Together, we can accomplish more for everyone's benefit. The more poultry producers actively participating in Alabama Farmers Federation and Alabama Poultry Producers, the more effective the organization can be on issues affecting them. With membership in the Alabama Farmers Federation, come many benefits. The directors of the commodity departments look forward to working with you.
Click here for "Steps to enter the poultry production business."
Did you know?
- Alabama's top broiler producing counties are Cullman, DeKalb, Marshall and Coffee.
- Alabama's top laying flock counties are Cullman, DeKalb, Randolph and Marshall.
- Poultry (broilers and eggs) accounted for $2,800,366,000 in farm receipts.
- Poultry accounts for 60 percent of Alabama's agricultural revenue.
- Cash receipts for broilers amounted to $2.79 billion in 2010.
- Alabama ranked 3rd nationally in broiler production in 2010, behind Georgia and Arkansas.
- Alabama's table egg industry ranks 14th nationally.
- Alabama's broiler industry accounts for more than $10 billion in revenue.
- Alabama's broiler industry accounts for more than 80,000 jobs.
- Alabama marketed 1.02 billion birds.
- Commercial broiler hatcheries hatched 1.29 billion chicks.
- Alabama hatcheries shipped 224.6 million broiler chicks to other states in 2010.
- Alabama's laying flocks produced 2.18 billion eggs in 2010.
- Cash receipts from eggs were $281 million.
- Alabama poultry exports accounted for $423.7 million in 2010.