Alabama Farmers Federation at Work for Alabama Producers
As a part of Alabama Farmers Federation, the Soybean Division is represented at the state and national levels through departments of Governmental Affairs and National Affairs. The Department of Public Relations provides communications about important issues and notices through its monthly magazine, Neighbors, and biweekly newsletter, Cultivator.
The Local Connection
County Farmers Federations, with the assistance of Area Organization Directors, provide support and a mechanism to address issues on the local level. Herein lies the strength of Alabama Farmers Federation. Each county may establish its own Soybean Committee. Needs and requests from producers in the county are the beginning of policy development and the direction of Alabama Soybean Producers. You may contact your county Soybean Chairman, or if none currently exists, the Area Organization Director in your region or your County President for more information.
Why Should I be a Member of Alabama Farmers Federation and Alabama Soybean Producers?
The Alabama Farmers Federation brings farmers of all commodities together for a common cause. Together, we can accomplish more for everyone's benefit. The more producers actively participating in Alabama Farmers Federation and Alabama Soybean Producers, the more effective the organization can be on issues affecting them. With membership in the Alabama Farmers Federation, come many benefits.
Did you know?
- Soybeans have been an important part of the human diet for over 4,000 years.
- In 1979, Alabama Soybean Producers harvested over 2.1 million acres of soybeans. In 2011, Alabama Soybean Producers harvested 300,000 acres of soybeans.
- Soybeans are generally acknowledged to be the highest quality vegetable protein source and one of the most abundant.
- The world produces over 60 million metric tons of soybeans each year.
- One acre of soybeans can furnish 584 pounds of edible protein and sustain an individual for 2,224 days.