Essay Contest Rules
The Alabama Farm-City poster, essay and multimedia theme for 2013 is "Alabama Agriculture: Growing For You and Me".
Alabama farmers grow the food, fiber and forest products we depend on for daily living. But a new economic impact study reveals agriculture also fuels economic growth and job creation in the state.
According to the report, Alabama agriculture and related industries are a $70.4 billion a year business and create 580,295 jobs, or about 22 percent of the workforce. These facts illustrate how Alabama Agriculture is Growing for You and Me.
The new study is a great resource for county Farm-City committees to show the interdependence of farmers and their urban neighbors.
The Alabama Cooperative Extension System has compiled the findings from the economic impact study at www.AlabamaAgImpact.com. This site provides state data and statistics for individual counties and commodities.
The contest is sponsored by the Farm-City Committee of Alabama, P.O. Box 11000, Montgomery, AL 36191-0001, in cooperation with Alabama Ag in the Classroom and Alabama Farmers Cooperative. More information for teachers and students is available online at www.AlfaFarmers.org, www.AlabamaAITC.org and www.AgEducate.org or by contacting your local Alabama Cooperative Extension System office.
State winners in the poster, essay and multimedia contests will be featured in the Alabama Farm-City Committee's 2015 Farm-City Calendar
Eligibility and Rules
- Division I is open to all students in grades 7 - 9.
Division II is open to all students in grades 10 - 12.
- First and second place winners will be named.
- Essays must relate to the theme. The name of the theme must be stated in the essay.
- Each student is required to complete an information form and attach it to the essay entry. (Click Here For Information Form)
- All entries will be judged first at the County Farm-City Committee level with the first place winner in each county being submitted to the State Farm-City Committee. One entry per division, per county may be submitted for judging at the state level.
- Criteria: Essay should be 500 - 1000 words, neatly typed, and double-spaced, on 8-1/2 x 11, white paper. They will be judged on:
- Content Title:
Adherence to topic
Accuracy of information
Flow of material
- Content Title:
- Deadline for entry at the state level is February 24, 2014. State winners will be notified by mail no later than March 14. Award winners will be announced at the State Farm-City Awards Luncheon.
- All entries may be used at the discretion of the AG in the Classroom Steering Committee and the Farm-City Committee of Alabama without further permission or monetary consideration.
Awards in Each Category
|First Place: $300 Cash||Student's Classroom: $300 Cash|
|Second Place: $200 Cash||Student's Classroom: $200 Cash|
For further information, contact your local Farm-City Committee or the State Farm-City Committee at 1(800) 392-5705 or 1(334) 613-4410. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Fax: 1(334) 284-3957. Mailing address: Alabama Farmers Federation, Attn: Jeff Helms, P.O. Box 11000, Montgomery, AL 36191.