UPCOMING TRAINING WILL GROW GREENHOUSE OPERATORS’ KNOWLEDGE
May 29, 2014
Alabama Cooperative Extension System
The Alabama Green Industry Training Center (AGITC) and the Alabama Nursery and Landscape Association (ALNLA) are offering a workshop for retail and wholesale greenhouse operators Thursday, June 12, at the North Shelby Library in Birmingham. AGITC Executive Director John Nabors said the daylong program will provide a great opportunity for people involved in greenhouse production to grow their knowledge.
“Greenhouse and high tunnel production is increasing in the state,” Nabors said. “It is crucial that we reach both veterans of the business as well as newcomers with quality training opportunities—trainings that can help their businesses prosper."
The workshop costs $45. Register online at www.agitc.org and choose the Course Registration Links. Lunch is sponsored by ALNLA. The Center is housed in the North Shelby Library at 5521 Cahaba Valley Road in Birmingham.
Workshop sessions offered during the training include
- Spring and Summer Herbaceous Selections at the Huntsville Botanical Garden by Harvey Cotten, chief horticulturist, Huntsville Botanical Garden
- Grafting Tomatoes: Tips for Success, by Dr. Jim Jacobi, plant pathologist, Alabama Cooperative Extension System
- Introduction to Greenhouse Vegetable Production—Hydroponics, by Jeremy Pickens, research associate, Auburn University Department of Horticulture
- Marketing: How You Can Make Social Media Outlets Work for You, by Maggie Lawrence, communications and marketing specialist, Alabama Cooperative Extension System
- Greenhouse Insect and Disease Review, by Dr. Jim Jacobi
- Plant Nutrition and Fertility, by Jeremy Pickens
The Alabama Green Industry Training Center is a joint venture of Extension, the Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries, the ALNLA and other partners, working together to improve the professionalism of the Green Industry.
For more information, contact Nabors at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (205) 981-2326, extension 11.