Cultivator — April 16, 2016
Farm-City Members, Groups Honored
Houston County farmer Gloria Jeffcoat was named the 2016 Volunteer of the Year during the Alabama Farm-City Awards Luncheon April 7 in Birmingham. The event recognizes outstanding Farm-City committees and student award winners in poster, essay and multimedia contests.
Farmers, students and community leaders joined together for the annual Alabama Farm-City Awards Luncheon April 7 in Birmingham to honor outstanding Farm-City committees and members.
Gloria Jeffcoat of Houston County received the Volunteer of the Year award for providing more than 300 hours of community service to the Houston County Farm-City Committee. She has served on the committee for over 20 years.
“Whether behind the camera, compiling the scrapbook, decorating for the banquet or balancing the Farm-City checkbook, Houston County can count on Gloria Jeffcoat to get the job done,” said Jeff Helms, Alabama Farm-City Committee chairman.
The Cullman County Farm-City Committee received the Best Overall Farm-City Committee award for the fourth straight year. The group also won awards for Best Farm-City Committee in Division I and Best Special Activities. The Houston County Farm-City Committee was Division I runner-up.
In Division II, the Pike County Farm-City Committee was named Best Overall, and the Lawrence County Farm-City Committee was runner-up.
Additional awards were presented to county Farm-City committees along with recognition for student winners in the statewide poster, essay and multimedia contests. Gibbs Farms in Cleburne County was the 2016 Alabama Farm of Distinction winner.
The annual luncheon is held in conjunction with the Alabama Farmers Federation’s Women’s Leadership Conference at the Hyatt Regency - Wynfrey Hotel.
For a list of awards, read the May issue of Neighbors. For event photos, go to Flickr.com/AlabamaFarmers or Facebook.com/AlabamaFarmers.
Articles in this issue
- Farm-City Members, Groups Honored
- Corn, Cotton Acres Increase In 2016
- Fatal Vision Events Teach Lifelong Lessons
- Board Accepts Deer Season, Game Check Changes
- Ag In The Classroom Work Session
- Pre-Register For New Farmer Curriculum
- First Alabama A&M Scholarship Awarded
- April 2016 Commodity Corner
- April 2016 Upcoming Events
- Green Joins Federation As Commodity Director
- Palmer Tours Chilton County Farms
- Seed Bill, GF Budget Receive Final Approval
- Big Plans For Graham Farm And Nature Center
- April 2016 Obituaries