- Bacon Cheddar Cups Pat Schrand, Coffee County
- Bacon Surprise Mary Tucker, Fayette County
- Carolina Ribs Alexander Hunter, Mobile County
- Crock-pot BBQ Carolyn Alexander, Russell County
- Plantation Grilled Pork Chops WITH Grilled Vidalia Onion Debra Lamberth, Coosa County
- Posh Piggies Pat Presley, Coffee County
- Pulled Pork Party Nachos Morgan Brown, Cullman County
- Tenderloin Medley Delle Bean, Calhoun County
July is Pork Month in Alabama, but Russell County Farmers Federation members Larry and Jo Ann Laney are a threat to cook a batch of mouth-watering ribs anytime.
As former members of the Char-Broil Barbecue Team, the Laneys competed in Kansas City- and Memphis-style contests across the country. Their trophy collection – which spilled out of the house and into the barn and garage – includes multiple top-10 prizes from the prestigious Memphis in May.
Larry’s secrets of success include using a quality spice rub, fruit wood (like apple or cherry) for smoke and apple juice or brown sugar for sweetness.
“Hickory wood is too strong,” Larry said. “If it’s green or not completely cured, it can give the meat a chemical flavor.”